This online course is appropriate for staff from Nonprofit Organizations, Educational Institutions, Native Tribes, Healthcare Organizations, and Government Agencies. Read the Traits of a Successful Grant Writer.
This course teaches students the finer points of grant writing, enabling proposals and applications to be more competitive. Students will develop a program/project, practice pre-writing exercises, write a project narrative, write a Letter of Inquiry (LOI), and prepare budgets for Foundation Grants and Federal Non-Construction Grants. The emphasis is on program support and general operating grants. Research grants, construction grants, and scholarships are mentioned, but are outside the scope of the course content.
Online learning is individual and self-paced. Students may begin the course anytime during the year. Students are assigned an instructor who is a Certified Grant Writer® with at least 10 years of experience and 5 years of teaching experience. The instructor will e-mail the student course materials and assignments one section at a time. The student will need to complete assignments in one section before proceeding to the next section. Students may e-mail the instructor when s/he has a question about the course material or assignments.
Most students spend about 50 hours over 3-4 weeks to complete the 6 assignments, however students have 90 days to finish. The 90 day period begins on the day of purchase. A 90-day extension is available (for any and all reasons) for $100 if a student needs additional time. The extention may be purchased up to one year after the purchase of the online course on the Marketplace page. Students may purchase up to two 90-day extensions.
At the conclusion of the course, students are asked to submit a Course Evaluation.
- A Bachelor's Degree is strongly recommended, but not required.
- A strong math aptitude (Algebra I) is recommended to successfully complete the budget exercises.
- A working knowledge of Word, Excel, and Adobe Reader are recommended.
Hardware and Software:
- Students will need a computer with any operating system and will need to use the following Software: Word, Excel, and Adobe Reader. Phones do not meet this standard.
- Students will also need a e-mail account (other than a hotmail.com or msn.com account) that has internet access.
- Students will need an e-mail account that will accept emails with 8 mg attachments.
Certificate of Completion: Upon successful completion of all the course assignments and course evaluation the student will be mailed a Certificate of Completion documenting 50 contact hours.
Membership: An annual Individual Membership in AGWA is included with the online course. Current members who purchase this package will have one year added to his/her current membership.
Syllabus: The following topics will be covered:
- Section 1: Grantseeking and Exempt Organizations
- Section 2: Program Development and the Logic Model, Researching Grant Opportunities, and Online Resources for Grantseekers
- Section 3: Proposal Writing for Foundation and Corporate Grants whcih includes preparing the Problem Statement, Program/Project Description, Evaluation Plan, Site Visits, Writing a Letter of Inquiry, and Corporate Giving Programs
- Section 4: Preparing Government Grant Applications which includes Regulations for Federal Awards, Writing the Project Narrative, Review Process, and Working Summary of a Notice
- Section 5: Professional Standards and Code of Ethics
- Section 6: Part I: Preparing the Nonprofit project Budget for a Foundation or Corporate Grant and Budget Narrative
- Section 6: Part II: Preparing the Federal Non-Construction Budget for a Project Grant and Budget Narrative
Course Materials. All of the required course materials are provided by the online instructor as attachments (pdf or doc files) to an e-mail.
Price: The regular price $699.00 per person. On sale thru 3/29/2018 for $549.00 per person.
Group Price: No group price is available for this online course.
Why should I select AGWA to be my Course Provider? click
- When paying online at the regular or sale price by credit or debit card you may purchase the Program Development and Proposal Writing Online Course by clicking on "add to cart" on the right hand side of this page. In the "Ship To" section of the Order Form, please enter the student's name, mailing address, and e-mail. In the "Bill To" section of the Order Form, enter the information of the credit / debit card holder and the e-mail address where the order confirmation should be forwarded. If placing an order for more than 1 student, then enter the addtional student's names, mailing addresses, and e-mails in the "Remarks" section of the Order Form.
- If paying by personal check or business check, please mail the check and Registation Form (upper right of this page) to AGWA, PO Box 3546, Winter Haven FL 33885.
- If your organization requires an Invoice from AGWA, then please fax your Purchase Order and Registration Form to 863-229-5246 or e-mail it to CustomerService@AmericanGrantWriters.org. Students will be registered for the PDPW Online Course upon receipt of the Purchase Order.
- First Step: Update your E-mail's Contact List, Safe List, and Allow List with AGWA's email domain: @AmericanGrantWriters.org. Your e-mail account must be set up to accept emails with 8 mg attachments. Students cannot use a phone for the online course.
- On the next business day after purchase, the student will receive 2 e-mails:
If the student has not received both of these e-mails by the end of the next business day after purchase, then please contact Customer Service by e-mail. AGWA will explain how to set up your e-mail account for the online course.
- A Welcome E-mail from AGWA Member Services with a Members Only Login password
- An E-mail from the Online Instructor with Section 1 Course Materials and Assignments for the "Program Development and Proposal Writing" online course
Before Making your Purchase: Please refer to our web pages "Refund and Rescheduling Policies", "Professional Ethics and Standards", and "Debit/Credit Card Purchases" before making your purchase.
Upgrade to include the CGW Review and Exam:
- If you want to take the CGW Exam at a later date, then you are eligible to purchase an Upgrade. When you are ready to purchase the Upgrade, just visit our website and click on the "Marketplace" tab, then page down until you see the Upgrade.
- If you are ready to include the CGW Exam in your purchase now, then you should purchase the CGW Series. Click here for information on the CGW Series.
Support: If a prospective student, or current student, has questions about registration, course materials, or technical support please contact AGWA's Customer Service by phone or e-mail.
Training Funds: If your company is seeking training funds, you might want to contact the Workforce Development Board in your County. Some of the boards offer training funds to employers to reimburse up to 50% of training registration expense.
Unfortunately, AGWA does not offer any course scholarships.