Certified Grant Writer Class in Cincinnati, OH in October 2012
Certified Grant Writer Class in Chicago, IL in April 2012
Certified Grant Writer Class in Orlando, FL in January 2012
Certified Grant Writer Class in San Antonio, TX in November 2011
Certified Grant Writer Class in Raleigh, NC in Sep 2011
Certified Grant Writer Class of August 2011 at Native Learning Center in Hollywood, Florida
Certified Grant Writer Class in St Louis, MO in July 2011
Certified Grant Writer Class in May, 2011 in Philadelphia, PA
CGW Class San Diego, CA in Jan 2011
Certified Grant Writer Class in Clearwater Beach, FL in October, 2010
The Certified Grant Writer® Credential is the industry standard for professionals in the field of grant writing. The credental is valid for a period of 5 years and documents that the professional has demonstrated proficiency in grant researching, proposal writing, budgeting, and professional ethics. The credential may be renewed by earning 30 Renewal Credits every five years.
The Certified Grant Writer® Workshop Package includes the following:
This package is appropriate for staff from nonprofit organizations, educational institutions, health organizations, government agencies, and native tribes.
Program Development and Proposal Writing Workshop
- Program Development and Proposal Writing Workshop (4-day workshop)
- Certified Grant Writer® Review Course (1 day workshop)
- Certified Grant Writer® Exam (1 day exam in a group setting)
- Annual Individual Membership in American Grant Writers' Association
The workshop is a hands-on experience where participants develop a program, complete pre-writing exercises, practice writing some sections of a proposal, review peer's writing samples, and practice budgeting for Foundation and Government grants. Students learn the finer points of grant writing to make a proposal more competitive. The emphasis is on program support, program development support, and operating support. Research grants and construction grants are mentioned, but not discussed in depth. The workshop is taught from the employee's perspective who works for the grant applicant. Participants receive a Workshop Manual and the following topics will be covered during the workshop:
We recommend bringing to the workshop:
- Grantseeking and the Development Office
- Nonprofit Organizations - Exempt Status and Charitable Status
- Standards of Charitable Accountability
- Program Development using a Logic Model
- Understanding a Foundation's 990 PF
- Evaluating Government NOFAs and Foundation RFPs
- Researching statistics to document the Problem Statement
- Writing goals, measurable objectives, and outcomes
- Planning Program Evaluations
- Writing Letters of Inquiry, Proposals and Applications for Foundations and Corporations
- Writing Government applications
- Preparing Non-Profit and Government Program Budgets
- Professional Standards and Ethics
The workshop begins at 8:30 AM and concludes at 5:00 PM each day, with a one hour break for lunch on your own. Morning and afternoon breaks are provided. Dress is casual.
- a sweater or jacket because meeting rooms often feel chilly,
- a pillow for your chair,
- a laptop computer with working USB Port and Word Software for the writing exercises (A printer will be provided in the meeting room),
- a handheld calculator and pencils with erasers for the Budget exercises.
Certified Grant Writer® Review Course
On the 5th day is the Certified Grant Writer® Review Course. The review covers study tips as well as content for all 5 sections of the examination. Course materials are distributed in the meeting room on the afternoon prior to the course. The course begins at 8:30 AM and concludes at 5:30 PM with a one hour break for lunch on your own. Morning and afternoon breaks are provided. Students should bring a handheld calculator, pencils with erasers, and a sweater or jacket; laptop computers are not used during the Review Course. Students should be familiar with APA style prior to attending the Review Course.
Certified Grant Writer® Exam
On the 6th day the Certified Grant Writer® Exam is administered in a group setting. The exam is administered in 3 sessions:
Session 1: Section 1) Program Development and Proposal Writing
Section 2) Researching Grant Opportunties
Section 3) Professional Ethics
Session 2: Section 4) Preparing Budgets
Session 3: Section 5) Writing Samples
The Exam is administered from 8:30 AM until 4:45 PM. Students should plan travel arrangements so that they are scheduled to depart the hotel no earlier than 4:45 PM; we recommend scheduling airline flights after 7:30 PM.
Students are required to provide the following for the CGW Exam:
- Laptop computer with a working USB port and Word software for the Writing Sample Section.
- A handheld calculator (with no text capability) for the Budget Section.
- A State Issued Photo ID (such as a driver's license or passport) as proof of identity and minimum age.
All of the course materials for the Program Development and Proposal Writing Workshop and CGW Review Course are provided. We recommend reading the following books prior to attending to enrich your learning experience.
- The writing reference is the APA Manual of Style. Some writers prefer to use the booklet, Concise Rules of APA Style. Both are available from American Psychological Association's website www.apastyle.org
- A Bachelor's Degree is strongly recommended, but not required.
- The minimum age is 21 years old.
- A strong math aptitude (Algebra I) is strongly recommended for suceess in the Budgeting Exercises.
- Familiarity with APA style is recommended prior to attending the CGW Review Course.
- Experience in grant writing or budgeting is not required, however we recommend beginners with little or no experience take AGWA's Introduction to Grant Writing Online Course prior to registering for this package.
Price: $799 per person for 6-day package. Groups of 3 or more are $699 per person for the 6-day package.
Current members who purchase this package will have one year of membership added to his/her current membership.
Passing the Certified Grant Writer® Exam
A score of 80% is required to pass each section, except a score of 90% is required to pass the Professional Standards and Code of Ethics Section. The Certified Grant Writer® Package entitles the student to sit for the Certified Grant Writer® Examination 2 times in an attempt to successfully pass all 5 sections. For the second sitting, the student needs to only retest in the sections that did not receive a passing score during the first sitting. To sit for the Certified Grant Writer® Exam a third time, a student must wait a period of 12 months after the 2nd testing and and register for the Certified Grant Writer Review Course and Examination for an additional $499. Membership is required on the date of registration and date of CGW examination.
Rescheduling, Cancellation, Refund
Students have the option of paying for the 6-day package, and deciding to take the 4-day workshop at a date/location at a different location from the 2-day CGW Review and Workshop. Most students say that it was to their benefit to take the CGW Review and Exam on the 2 days immediately following the 4-day workshop. We understand that some students prefer to have additional study time, so we do offer the option of separating the workshop dates from the CGW Review and Exam dates. Just e-mail customer service to let us know your preferred dates for the CGW Review and Exam at least 2 weeks prior. For rescheduling, cancellation, and refund policies please refer to our web page "Refund and Rescheduling Policies"
As an IACET Approved Provider, AGWA offers CEUs. To earn the 3.5 CEUs students must attend all of the 4-day workshop and 1-day Review Course, and complete all assignments. This CEU Certificate must be purchased prior to the beginning of the workshop.
Persons with Disabilities
Persons with disabilities may request accommodations. Requests must be in writing (mail or email) and must be received no later than 2 weeks prior to the first day of the Workshop.
If a student, or prospective student, has questions about registration, technical support, or the course please contact AGWA's Customer Service by phone or e-mail.
If your company is seeking training funds, you might want to contact the Workforce Development Board in your County. Some of the boards offer training funds to employers that reimburse up to 50% of training registration expense.
Grant Consulting Package Upgrade
If you are registered for the 6-day Certified Grant Writer Package, you are entitled to upgrade to the Grant Consulting Package. This is a $249 value available for just $49. This sale price is available for a limited time. Click below to learn more or to purchase.
2014 Dates and Locations
May 5-11, 2014 in Chicago, IL
Workshop Location: Crown Plaza Northbrook (The last day to register is Monday, Apr 21, 2014)
- Address: 2875 N Milwaukee Ave, Northbrook IL 60062
- Hotel Phone: 847-298-2525
- We have reserved a block of rooms in the name of American Grant Writers Association at the group rate of $104.00 + tax per night. Please call the hotel directly at 847-298-2525 or 800-2CROWNE to make your reservations. Make your hotel reservations as early as possible the group rate will only be available until Apr 13, 2014 or as long as space is available.
- If you are flying into O'Hare Airport or Midway Airport transportation is available outside the baggage claim area by taxi. Taxi fare is about $60 from O'Hare and $80 from Midway to the hotel. The 101 Express Limo Company can provide one-way transportation from O'Hare to the Hotel for about $35 per person and from Midway Airport to the hotel for about $58 per person. To make reservations with 101 Express Limo Company phone 847-808-0101.
- If you are driving to the hotel, parking is complimentary.
Aug 18-23, 2014 in New Orleans, LA
Workshop Location: Astor Crowne Plaza French Quarter (The last day to register is Monday, Aug 4, 2014)
- Hotel Address: 739 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70130
- Hotel Phone: 504-962-0500
- We have reserved a block of rooms in the name of American Grant Writers Association at the group rate of $ 95.00 + tax per night, single or double occupancy. Please call the hotel directly at 888-696-4806 or 800-2CROWNE to make your reservations, and ask for the AGWA group rate. Make your hotel reservations as early as possible the group rate will only be available until August 14, 2014, or as long as space is available. Note that once you have checked-in at the hotel, if you depart the hotel earlier than the scheduled departure date of your reservation, then theree is an early departure fee of $75.00 per room.
- If you are flying into the New Orleans Airport transportation is available outside the baggage claim area by taxi, shared van shuttle, or limosine.
- If you are driving to the hotel, valet parking is available for a fee.
Oct 20-25, 2014 in Baltimore, MD
Workshop Location: Holiday Inn Inner Harbor (The last day to register is Monday, Oct 6, 2014)
- Hotel Address: 301 W Lombard Street, Baltimore MD 21201
- Hotel Phone: 410-685-3500
- We have reserved a block of rooms in the name of American Grant Writers Association at the group rate of $119-$159 + tax per night. Please call the hotel directly to make your reservations. Make your hotel reservations as early as possible the group rate will only be available until Sep 27, 2014 or as long as space is available.
- If you are flying into the Baltimore Airport transportation is available outside the baggage claim area by taxi, limosine, or shared van ride. Super Shuttle provides shared van rides from the airport to the hotel for about $14.00 each way.
- If you are driving to the hotel, parking is available for overnight guests and meeting only guests for about $25.00 per day.
A CEU Certificate may be added to any online course, workshop, conference, or pre-conference registration.
If one of the above forms fails to load, please click your Refresh Button serveral times.
This price reflects a $100 per person discount when registering a group of 3 or more from the same organization when paid together. Price is $699.00 per person for a group of 3 or more persons.
CGW Workshop Pkg for a Group of 3 or more
"This workshop is great preparation for the Certified Grant Writer® Exam"
Certified Grant Writer Workshop Pkg on 5/5-10/2014 in Chicago, IL
"This workshop is intensive and the perfect foundation to gain the base to build upon".
New Orleans Registration
Certified Grant Writer Workshop Pkg in New Orleans, LA on 8/18-23, 2014
Certified Grant Writer Workshop Pkg 10/20-25/2014 in Baltimore, MD
Certified Grant Writer Class in Chicago, IL in July 2010
Certified Grant Writer Class in March, 2010 in New Orleans, Louisiana
Certified Grant Writer Class in November, 2009 in Clearwater Beach, Florida.