The Certified Grant Writer® professional credential is the standard for grantseekers in government and philanthropy. The credential is valid for a period of 5 years and documents that the professional has demonstrated proficiency in grant researching, proposal writing, budgeting, and professional ethics.
The CGW Online Series includes the following components:
"Program Development and Proposal Writing" Online Course (42 hour online course)
Certified Grant Writer® Review Course (1 day in-person workshop in a group setting)
Certified Grant Writer® Examination (1 day in-person exam in a group setting)
Annual Individual Membership in American Grant Writers' Association
This series is appropriate for staff from nonprofit organizations, educational institutions, health organizations, government agencies, and native tribes seeking to write competitive grant applications and proposals for Foundation Grants, Corporate Grants, and Government Grants. Link: Traits of a Successful Grant Writer
Program Development and Proposal Writing Online Course
- This online course is individual study and self-paced. Students are assigned an Online Instructor who will send course materials and assignments by e-mail.
- Most students spend 42 hours to complete the 6 assignments, although students have up to 90 days to complete the assignments. The 90 days begins on the date of purchase.
- A 90-day extension is available for $100. An extension may be purchased up to one year after the original purchase of the online course.
- Students receive course materials and assignments one section at a time. Assignments must be completed in one section before proceeding to the next section. One section must be completed before the student will receive the next section's course materials and assignments.
- For the online course, the student will need a computer (with any operating system) that has internet access. Software needed is MS Word, Excel, and Adobe Reader. Students will also need an e-mail address.
This course teaches students the finer points of grant writing enabling proposals and applications to be more competitive. Students will develop a program, practice pre-writing exercises, learn how to research grant opportunities, gather statistics and write the Problem Statement, Project Narrative, Letter of Inquiry, and prepare budgets for Foundation Grants and Non-Construction Project Grants. The emphasis is on program / project support and general operating grants. Construction grants, research grants, scholarships and fellowships are outside the scope of this course.
- Section 1: Grantseeking and Exempt Organizations
- Section 2: Program Development, Researching Grant Opportuntities, and Online Resources for Grantseekers
- Section 3: Proposal Writing for Foundation and Corporate Grants
- Section 4: Preparing Government Grant Applications for Non-Construction Projects
- Section 5: Professional Standards and Code of Ethics
- Section 6: May be taken online or as a one-day workshop (in select cities)
- Part I: Preparing the Budget for a Foundation Grant and Budget Narrative
- Part II: Preparing the Federal Non-Construction Budget for a Project Grant and Budget Narrative
Selection of the location/date for the CGW Review Course and Exam.
- When making your purchase online, select your location to attend the CGW Review and Exam and then click on "add to cart".
- The student may later change the location/date up to 2 times by providing written notice by e-mail at least 2 weeks prior.
- A student may also elect to attend the Budget Workshop (available in select cities) rather than complete the online assignments for Section 6.
- If the student's membership has expired, then s/he will need to renew prior to selection of the location/date.
- On-site registration will NOT be available for the CGW Review and Exam!
Certified Grant Writer Review Course
This course is only available as a one-day workshop. It is not available online. Course materials are distributed in the meeting room on the afternoon prior to the course or on the morning of the review course. The course begins at 8 AM and concludes at 5 PM with a one hour break for lunch on your own. Morning and afternoon breaks are provided, but meals are not provided. Students should bring pencils with erasers, a sweater or jacket; however laptop computers are not needed during the review course.
Certified Grant Writer® Exam
The Certified Grant Writer® Exam is administered in person in a group setting. The exam is NOT available online. The exam is administered in 3 sessions:
Session 1: Proposal Writing, Researching, and Professional Standards and Code of Ethics
Session 2: Preparing Budgets for Foundation, Corporate, and Government Grants
Session 3: Writing Samples
The exam is administered from 8:00 AM until 4:30 PM. Students should plan travel arrangements so that they are scheduled to depart the hotel no earlier than 4:30 PM. We recommend scheduling airline flights after 7:30 PM. Morning and afternoon beverages are provided. Dress is casual.
Students are required to provide the following for the CGW Exam:
- Laptop computer with a working (enabled) USB port and installed Microsoft Word software for the Writing Sample Section,
- State Issued Photo ID (such as a driver's license) or Passport as proof of identify and minimum age.
All of the course materials for the online courses and review course are provided. We recommend reading the following book(s) prior to attending:
- The writing reference is the APA Publication Manual of Style. We recommend learning the grammar, punctuation and references. Some writers use the booklet, Concise Rules of APA Style as a desk reference. To learn APA style we recommend the APA Style Workbook. All are available from American Psychological Association's online store www.apastyle.org.
- The minimum age to sit for the CGW Exam is 21 years old by the date of the exam.
- Proof of identity and minimum age must be shown to the proctor prior to sitting for the exam.
- Only members of American Grant Writers' Association may sit for the Certified Grant Writer® exam
- Participants must comply with the Meeting Guidelines when attending the CGW Review Course and Testing Guidelines when taking the Certified Grant Writer®
- A Bachelor's Degree is strongly recommended, but not required.
- A strong math aptitude (Algebra I) is recommended to be successful.
- Knowledge of APA Style prior to attending the Review Course is strongly recommended.
Regular Price: $ 999.00 per person On sale for just $949.00 thru 2/27/2017 for online purchases only
Group Price: No group discount is available for the CGW Online Series.
- To purchase online at the regular or sale price by credit/debit card, click on "add to cart" on this page. In the "Ship To" section of the Order Form, please enter the student's name, mailing address, and e-mail. In the "Bill To" section of the Order Form, enter the information of the credit/debit card holder and the e-mail address where the order confirmation should be forwarded. If placing an order for more than 1 student, enter the additional student's names, mailing addresses, and e-mails in the "Remarks" section of the Order Form.
- If paying by personal check or business check, please mail the check and Registration Form to: AGWA, 13801 Walsingham Rd A-410, Largo FL 33774. We encourage students to send the registration form to AGWA by fax or e-mail and let us know that the check will be sent by mail. Students will be registered as soon as payment is received.
- If your organization requires an Invoice from AGWA, then please fax your Purchase Order and Registration Form to 727-240-0637 or e-mail it to CustomerService@AmericanGrantWriters.org. Students will be registered for the CGW Online Series upon receipt of the Purchase Order and Registration Form. AGWA does not prepare an invoice without a purchase order from your organization. Payment must be received prior to the student sitting for the CGW Exam.
On the next business day after receipt of your online order, purchase order, or check the student will receive by e-mail:
If the student has not received both of these e-mails within 2 business days after purchase, then please contact Customer Service by phone or e-mail.
- A Welcome E-mail from AGWA Member Services with a Members Only Login password and a Confirmation for the CGW Review and Exam
- An e-mail from the Online Instructor with attachments: Section 1 Course Materials and Section 1 Assignments for the online course
Passing the Certified Grant Writer® Exam
A score of 80% is required to pass each section, except a score of 90% is required to pass the Professional Standards and Code of Ethics Section. Students receive his/her grades and Certified Grant Writer Credential by mail within four weeks after the exam. The CGW Online Series entitles the student to sit for the Certified Grant Writer® Exam in an attempt to pass all 5 sections of the exam. For the second sitting, the student needs to only retest in the sections that did not receive a passing score during the first sitting. The second sitting may not be scheduled until the CGW candidate has received the exam results from the first sitting. A private sitting is available for the second sitting for an additional $299 plus travel expenses of the proctor. The private sitting must be administered by American Grant Writers' Association and proctored by a person holding a valid Certified Grant Writer® credential. To sit for the CGW Exam a third time, a student must wait a period of 12 months after the second testing and purchase the CGW Review and Exam as well be a member at the time of the exam. The maximum number of attempts to pass any section of the examination is four.
As an IACET Approved Provider, AGWA offers CEUs. A student must purchase the CEU Certificate prior to turning in the first online assignment to the instructor. To earn 4.9 CEUs for the CGW Online Series, the student must complete all assignments and have full attendance at the Review Course.
Rescheduling the CGW Review and Exam Date / Location
A student is eligible to reschedule the date/location of the CGW Review and Exam two times. To reschedule the CGW Review Course and Exam, please send written notice by e-mail at least 2 weeks prior to the date of the CGW Review Course. If written notice is received 2 weeks prior to the CGW Review Course date, then the rescheduling will be free. If written notice is received less than 2 weeks prior to the CGW Review Course date, then there will be a $195.00 rescheduling fee. The Rescheduling Fee may be purchased on the "Marketplace" page
Cancellation and Refund Policies
Prior to making your purchase we recommend you read our web pages: Refund and Rescheduling, Professional Standards and Ethics, and Debit/Credit Card Purchases.
Persons with Disabilities
Disabled persons may request accommodations. Requests should be in writing (mail or e-mail) and need to be received two weeks prior to the first day of a workshop or course.
If a prospective student, or current student, has questions on scheduling, technical support, coursework, or the exam please contact AGWA's Customer Service by phone or e-mail.
If your company is seeking training funds, you might want to contact the Workforce Development Board in your County. Some of the boards offer training funds to employers to reimburse up to 50% of training registration expense. Unfortunately, AGWA does not provide scholarships for the CGW Online Series.
2017 Dates and Locations
Feb 17-18, 2017 in Orlando, FL
Location: Holiday Inn Resort Lake Buena Vista
- Hotel Address: 13551 State Rd 535, Orlando FL 32821
- Hotel Phone: 407--239-4500
- A block of hotel rooms has been reserved for American Grant Writers at the group rate of $119.00 + $16.95 resort fee = 135.95 + taxes per night.for single or double occupancy.
- The group rate will be available until Sunday, Jan 22, 2017, as long as group space is available. To make your hotel reservations please call the hotel directly at 866-808-8833 and ask for the American Grant Writers group rate. Cancellation of a hotel reservation must be made at least 72 hours prior to arrival to avoid a cancellation fee.
- If you are flying to Orlando, then transportation to the hotel is available by taxi, limo, or shared van outside of the baggage claim area. Super Shuttle provides shared van transportation from the airport to the hotel for a fee.
- If you are driving to the hotel parking for meeting only guests is complimentary.
April 27-28, 2017 in Chicago, IL
Location: Crown Plaza Northbrook
(Apr 13, 2017 is the last day to select Chicago as the location of the CGW exam.)
- Hotel Address: 2875 N Milwaukee Ave, Northbrook IL 60062
- Hotel Phone: 847-298-2525
- Hotel rooms have been reserved for American Grant Writers' Association at the group rate of $109 plus taxes per night. Make your reservations early as this group rate is only available until April 12. 2017, or as long as space is available. To make your hotel reservations:
- call the hotel at 847-493-6929 and ask for the American Grant Writers group rate, or
- send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org and use Group Code AG7, or
- visit www.crowneplaza.com/northbrookchi and use Group Code AG7
- If you are flying into O'Hare Airport transportation is available outside the baggage claim area by taxi, limo, and shuttle. Transfer from the Airport to the Hotel by 101 Express Limo Company by shared van is about $45 one-way from O'Hare Airport and about $65 one-way from Midway Airport. Note that the hotel is closer to O'Hare Airport than Midway Airport.
- If you are driving to the hotel, parking is complimentary.
June 23-24, 2017 in Cincinnati / Northern KY
Location: Holiday Inn Cincinnati Airport Hotel
(June 9, 2017 is the last day to select Cincinnati as the location of the CGW Exam)
- Hotel Address: 1717 Airport Exchange Blvd, Erlanger KY 41018
- Phone: 859-746-5608
- Hotel rooms have been reserved for American Grant Writers' Association at the group rate of $95.00 + taxes per night. The group rate is only available until May 28, 2017, as long as space is available. To make your hotel reservations please call 888-294-6057 and ask for the American Grant Writers group rate.
- If you are flying into the Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky Airport, transportation to the hotel is available outside the baggage claim area by complimentary hotel shuttle.
- If you are driving to the hotel, parking is complimentary.
Aug 10-11, 2017 in Baltimore, MD
Location: Holiday Inn Inner Harbor
(Thursday, July 27, 2017 is the last day to select Baltimore as the location to sit for the CGW Exam.)
- Hotel Address: 301 W Lombard St, Baltimore MD 21201
- Hotel Phone: 410-685-3500 Front Desk
- Hotel rooms have been reserved for American Grant Writers' Association at the group rate of $109 plus taxes per night, single or double occupancy. Make your reservations early as this group rate is only available until 7/27/17, if group space is still available. To make your hotel reservations, call the hotel at 410-685-3500 and ask for the American Grant Writers group rate, group code: AGW. If you check-out early, there will be an "early departure fee" of $75.00 per room.
- Link for Hotel Reservations: American Grant Writers Association
- If you are flying into the Baltimore Airport, transportation to the hotel is available outside of the baggage claim area by shared van ride, taxi, or limosine. Super Shuttle's shared van ride is about $27 per person each way.
- If you are driving to the hotel, self-parking is about $28.00 per vehicle per day with unlimited in and out privileges.
- There is Light Rail Service (Maryland Transit Administration MTA) from BWI Airport. The hotel is between the Pratt Street and University Center/Baltimore Street Stations.
Oct 19-20, 2017 in Dallas, TX
Location: Holiday Inn DFW Airport South
(10/5/17 is the last day to select Dallas as the location of the CGW Exam)
- Hotel Address: 14320 Centre Station Dr, Fort Worth, TX 76155
- Hotel Phone: 817-399-1800
- Hotel rooms have been reserved for American Grant Writers' Association at the group rate of $159 + per night plus taxes. This rate includes a hot breakfast for registered guests. Make your reservations early as this group rate for hotel rooms is only available until Sep 25, 2017. To make your hotel reservations, call the hotel and ask for the American Grant Writers group rate
- If you are flying into the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport, you may board the hotel's complimetary shuttle outside of the baggage claim area.
- If you are driving to the hotel self-parking is complimentary.
2017 Dates and Locations
Feb 16, 2017 Budget Workshop*
Feb 17, 2017 CGW Review
Feb 18, 2017 CGW Exam
Apr 27, 2017 CGW Review
Apr 28, 2017 CGW Exam
Cincinnati / Northern KY
Jun 22, 2017 Budget Workshop*
June 23, 2017 CGW Review
June 24, 2017 CGW Exam
Aug 10, 2017 CGW Review
Aug 11, 2017 CGW Exam
Oct 19, 2017 CGW Review
Oct 20, 2017 CGW Exam
PAGE DOWN for details about each location.
A CEU Certificate may be added to any online course, webinar, workshop, conference, or pre-conference registration. The purchase must be made prior to the beginning of the course, webinar, workshop, or conference.
Certified Grant Writer® Candidates in Orlando, FL in Februrary 2015
Certified Grant Writer® Candidates in Las Vegas, NV in April 2015