Certified Grant Writer® Review and Exam
The Certified Grant Writer® Credential is the industry standard for professional grantseekers in government and philanthropy. The credential documents that the professional has demonstrated proficiency in grant researching, proposal writing, budgeting and professional ethics. The credential is valid for a period of 5 years and may be renewed by earning 30 CGW Renewal Credits.
This package is appropriate for experienced grant writers. The Certified Grant Writer® Review and Exam Package includes the following 3 components:
- An annual Individual Membership in American Grant Writers' Association,
- One-day in-person Certified Grant Writer® Review Course taken in a group setting,
- Certified Grant Writer® Examination taken in-person in a group setting.
Certified Grant Writer® Review Course
This course is a one-day intensive workshop in a group setting. Attendance is not required to sit for the CGW Exam, but it is strongly recommended. Course materials are distributed at the beginning of the day. The course covers study tips as well as content for all 5 sections of the examination. It begins 8:30 AM and concludes at 5:30 PM with a 1 hour lunch break on your own; morning and afternoon breaks are provided. Students should bring a handheld calculator, pencils with erasers, and a sweater or jacket. Prior to attending the CGW Review Course students should be familiar with APA style, should know how to save a Word file to a USB thumb drive.
Certified Grant Writer® Examination
The exam is always administered by American Grant Writers' Association by a proctor with a Certified Grant Writer® Credential. The exam is administered in 3 sessions:
The exam is administered in a group setting from 8:00 AM until 4:30 PM. Students should plan travel arrangements so that they are scheduled to depart the meeting room no earlier than 4:30 PM. We recommend scheduling airline flights after 7:30 PM.
- Session 1
- Section 1 -- Program Development and Proposal Writing
- Section 2 -- Researching Grant Opportunities
- Section 3 -- Professional Ethics
- Session 2
- Section 4 -- Preparing Budgets
- Session 3
- Section 5 -- Writing Samples
Students are required to provide the following for the CGW Exam:
Prerequisites and Recommendations:
- Laptop computer with a working USB port and Software that can save a document as a .doc or .docx file for the Writing Sample Section
- Handheld calculator with no text, formula capability, or printing capability for the Budget Section
- State Issued Photo ID, such as a driver's license, or Passport, for proof of identity and mimimum age of 21
- A Bachelor's Degree is strongly recommended, but not required.
- A strong math aptitude (Algebra I) is recommended to be successful in the budgeting section.
- Knowledge of APA Style (grammar, punctuation, and references) is strongly recommended.
- The minimum age to sit for the exam is 21 years old. Proof of identity from a State issued photo ID, such as a driver's license, or Passport, must be shown to the proctor prior to sitting for the exam.
- CGW Candidates are required to comply with the Meeting Guidelines while attending the CGW Review Course and the Testing Guidelines when taking the Certified Grant Writer Examination.
The price is $699.00 per person for the CGW Review and Exam Package.
Passing the Certified Grant Writer Exam
A score of 80% is required to pass each section, except a score of 90% is required to pass the Professional Standards and Code of Ethics section. Students receive their grades and CGW Credential 4 weeks after taking the exam.
Students who do not pass all 5 sections of the exam on the first sitting are entitled to sit for the Certified Grant Writer Exam a second time, free of charge. For the second sitting, the student needs to only retest in the sections that did not receive a passing score during the first setting. A student may also attend the CGW Review Course a second time, free of charge. The second sitting must be scheduled within 12 months from the first exam, with a one year grace period, for a total of 24 months. The student must be a member of the association when scheduling and taking the exam, so a student may need to renew his/her membership. The second sitting may not be scheduled until the CGW candidate has received the exam results from the first sitting. A private sitting is no longer available.
If a member needs to sit for the exam a third time, he/she will need to wait 12 months after the second exam and register for the CGW Review Course and Exam. He/she will need to be a member on the date of of the examination. The maximum number of attempts to pass any section of the examination is four.
As an IACET Approved Provider, AGWA offers CEUs. Students must purchase the CEU Certificate prior to the beginning of the Review Course. To earn 0.7 CEUs the student must have full attendance at the Review Course, and complete all Review Course assignments.
Rescheduling, Cancellation, and Refund Policies
For rescheduling, cancellation, and refund policies, please refer to our web page "Refund and Rescheduling Policies" prior to making your purchase. Prior to making your purchase please read our pages "Debit/Cardit Card Purchases" and "Professional Ethics and Standards".
Persons with Disabilities
Persons with disabilities may request accommodations at the CGW Review Course and CGW Exam. Requests must be in writing (mail or e-mail) and be received no less than 2 weeks prior to the date of the Review Course.
Current members who purchase this package will receive one additional year added to his/her current membership.
Current students, or prospective students, with questions about registering, course materials, examination, or technical support may contact AGWA's Customer Service by phone or e-mail.
If your company is seeking training funds, you might want to contact the Workforce Development Board in your County. Some of the boards offer training funds to employers to reimburse up to 50% of training registration expense. Unfortunately, the association does not provide scholarships.
Schedule for the CGW Review and Exam
April 27-28, 2017 in Chicago, IL
Location: Crowne Plaza Northbrook in Chicago, IL
- Registration is available until 4/13/17 as long as seats are still available.
- Hotel Address: 2875 N Milwaukee Ave, Northbrook IL 60062
- Hotel Phone: 847-298-2525
- A block of rooms has been reserved for our group at the group rate of $109 plus taxes per night. The group rate will only be available until 3/27/17 or as long as space is available, so make your hotel reservation early. To make hotel reservations call the hotel at 847-493-6929 or e-mail at email@example.com and use Group Code AGW.
- If you are flying into O'Hare or Midway Airports, transportation to the hotel is available outside of the baggage claim area by taxi, limo, or shared van. The hotel is closer to O'Hare Airport than Midway Airport.
- If you are driving to the hotel, parking is complimentary.
June 23-24, 2017 in Cincinnati / Northern KY
Location: Holiday Inn Cincinnati Airport Hotel
(June 9, 2017 is the last day to select Cincinnati as the location of the CGW Exam)
- Hotel Address: 1717 Airport Exchange Blvd, Erlanger KY 41018
- Phone: 859-746-5608
- Hotel rooms have been reserved for American Grant Writers' Association at the group rate of $95.00 + taxes per night. The group rate is only available until May 28, 2017, as long as space is available. To make your hotel reservations please call 888-294-6057 and ask for the American Grant Writers group rate.
- If you are flying into the Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky Airport, transportation to the hotel is available outside the baggage claim area by complimentary hotel shuttle.
- If you are driving to the hotel, parking is complimentary.
Aug 10-11, 2017 in Baltimore, MD
Location: Holiday Inn Inner Harbor
(Thursday, July 27, 2017 is the last day to select Baltimore as the location to sit for the CGW Exam.)
- Hotel Address: 301 W Lombard St, Baltimore MD 21201
- Hotel Phone: 410-685-3500 Front Desk
- Hotel rooms have been reserved for American Grant Writers' Association at the group rate of $109 plus taxes per night, single or double occupancy. Make your reservations early as this group rate is only available until 7/27/17, if group space is still available. To make your hotel reservations, call the hotel at 410-685-3500 and ask for the American Grant Writers group rate, group code: AGW. If you check-out early, there will be an "early departure fee" of $75.00 per room.
- Link for Hotel Reservations: American Grant Writers Association
- If you are flying into the Baltimore Airport, transportation to the hotel is available outside of the baggage claim area by shared van ride, taxi, or limosine. Super Shuttle's shared van ride is about $27 per person each way.
- If you are driving to the hotel, self-parking is about $28.00 per vehicle per day with unlimited in and out privileges.
- There is Light Rail Service (Maryland Transit Administration MTA) from BWI Airport. The hotel is between the Pratt Street and University Center/Baltimore Street Stations.
Oct 19-20, 2017 in Dallas, TX
Location: Holiday Inn DFW Airport South
- Registration is open until Thursday, 10/5/2017.
- Hotel Address:
- Hotel Phone: 215-923-0100
- A block of hotel rooms has been reserved for American Grant Writers' Association at the group rate of $159 per night plus taxes. The rate includes a hot breakfast for registered hotel guests. The group rate will be available until 10/5/17, as long as space is available. To make hotel reservations, please call the hotel and ask for the AGWA group rate.
- If you are flying into the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport, transportation to the hotel is available outside of the baggage claim area by complimatary hotel shuttle.
- If you are driving to the hotel self-parking is complimetary.
Dec 4-5, 2017 in Atlanta, GA
Location: Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel
(Nov 3, 2017 is the last day to register for the CGW Online Series in Atlanta)
- Hotel Address: 1900 Sullivan Rd, Atlanta GA 30337
- Hotel Phone: 770-994-2464
- Hotel rooms have been reserved for American Grant Writers' Association at the group rate of $129.00 plus taxes per night. Make your hotel reservation early as this group rate is only available until Nov 11, 2017 (as long as space in the group block is available). Please call the hotel directly for reservations. Note that if you check out early, there is a $75.00 cancellation fee.
- If you are driving to the hotel, complimentary parking is available.
- If you are flying to the Atlanta Airport, transportation to the hotel is available outside of the baggage claim area by complimentary hotel shuttle.
Dates and Locations
Apr 27, 2017 CGW Review
Apr 28, 2018 CGW Exam
Jun 23, 2017 CGW Review
Jun 24, 2017 CGW Exam
Aug 10, 2017 CGW Review
Aug 11, 2017 CGW Exam
Oct 19, 2017 CGW Review
Oct 20, 2017 CGW Exam
Dec 4, 2017 CGW Review
Dec 5, 2017 CGW Exam