Certified Grant Writer® Series
The Certified Grant Writer® professional credential is the standard for grantseekers in government and philanthropy. The credential is valid for a period of 5 years and documents that the professional has demonstrated proficiency in grant researching, proposal writing, budgeting, and professional ethics.
The Certified Grant Writer®Series includes the following components:
- Program Development and Proposal Writing Online Course
- Certified Grant Writer® Review Course (1 day in-person workshop in a group setting)
- Certified Grant Writer® Examination (1 day in-person exam in a group setting)
- Annual Individual Membership in American Grant Writers' Association
This series is appropriate for staff from nonprofit organizations, educational institutions, health organizations, government agencies, and native tribes seeking to write competitive grant applications and proposals for Foundation Grants, Corporate Grants, and Government Grants. Link: Traits of a Successful Grant Writer
Price for CGW Series: $1,298 per person now on sale for $999.00 per person thru 3/29/2018
Program Development and Proposal Writing Online Course
- This online course is individual study and self-paced. Students are assigned an Online Instructor who will send course materials and assignments by e-mail.
- Most students spend 50 hours over 3-4 weeks to complete the 6 assignments, although students have up to 90 days to complete the assignments. The 90 days begins on the date of purchase.
- A 90-day extension is available for $100 for students who need additional time (for any and all reasons). An extension may be purchased up to one year after the original purchase on the Marketplace page. A studernt may purchase up to two extensions, if needed.
- Students receive course materials and assignments one section at a time. Assignments must be completed in one section before proceeding to the next section. One section must be completed before the student will receive the next section's course materials and assignments.
- For the online course, the student will need a computer (with any operating system) that has internet access. Software needed is MS Word, Excel, and Adobe Reader.
- Studnet's E-mail Account
- Students may use any e-mail provider (except Hotmail.com or MSN.com)
- Note that the student's e-mail account must be capabile of accepting 8mg attachments
- Students must use a computer, not a phone, for student assignments.
- This course teaches students the finer points of grant writing enabling proposals and applications to be more competitive. Students will design a program/project, practice pre-writing exercises, learn how to research grant opportunities, gather statistics and write the Problem Statement, Project Narrative, Letter of Inquiry, and prepare budgets for Foundation Grants and Non-Construction Project Grants. The emphasis is on program / project support and general operating grants. Construction grants, research grants, scholarships and fellowships are outside the scope of this course.
- Online Course Syllabus:
- Section 1: Grantseeking and Exempt Organizations
- Section 2: Program Development, Researching Grant Opportuntities, and Online Resources for Grantseekers
- Section 3: Proposal Writing for Foundation and Corporate Grants
- Section 4: Preparing Government Grant Applications for Non-Construction Projects
- Section 5: Professional Standards and Code of Ethics
- Section 6:
- Part I: Preparing the Budget for a Foundation Grant and Budget Narrative
- Part II: Preparing the Federal Non-Construction Budget for a Project Grant and Budget Narrative
Registering to attend the CGW Review Course and Exam
- Upon completion of all the PDPW online assignments the student is eligible to select the location/date to sit for the CGW Review and Exam. (This policy effective beginning 3/16/2018)
- The student should send an e-mail to Member Services indicating the location/date selection. Registration closes two weeks prior to each exam.
- Then, AGWA will forward a confirmation to attend the CGW Review and Exam in the requested location.
- Students may reschedule to a different location/date two times.
Certified Grant Writer® Review Course
This course is only available as a one-day workshop. It is not available online. Course materials are distributed in the meeting room on the morning of the review course. The course begins at 8:00 AM and concludes at 5:00 PM with a one-hour break for lunch on your own. Breaks are provided, but meals are not provided. Dress is business casual. A laptop computer is not needed for the Review Course.
For the CGW Review Cocurse students should provide:
- Pencils with erasers
- Handheld caluclator with no text capability, no formula saving capability, no printing cability (phones do not meet this standard)
- Sweater or jacket because meeting rooms often feel chilly.
Certified Grant Writer® Exam
The Certified Grant Writer® Exam is administered in person in a group setting. The exam is NOT available online The exam is administered by a proctor who holds the Certified Grant Writer credential. The exam is administered from 8:00 AM until 4:30 PM. Students should make travel arrangements so that they plan to depart the hotel no earlier than 4:30 PM when the last section of the CGW exam concludes. We recommend scheduling airline flights after 7:30 PM or on the day following the exam. Students are required to provide the following for the CGW Exam:
- Laptop computer with a working (enabled) USB port and installed Microsoft Word software for the Writing Sample Section,
- Handheld calculator with no text capability, no formula capability, and no printing capability.
- Pencils with erasers
- State Issued Photo ID (such as a driver's license) or Passport as proof of identify and minimum age.
Course Materials for CGW Series
Requirements for CGW Exam:
- All of the online course materials are provided by e-mail from the online instructor.
- The course materials for the CGW Review Course are available upon arrival in the meeting room.
- The minimum age to sit for the CGW Exam is 21 years old by the date of the exam.
- Proof of identity and minimum age must be shown to the proctor prior to sitting for the exam.
- Completion of the Program Development and Proposal Writing online course is required to register for a location/date to sit for the CGW Exam.
- Only current members of American Grant Writers' Association may sit for the Certified Grant Writer® exam.
- Participants must comply with the Guidelines for Review and Exam while attending the CGW Review Course and taking the Certified Grant Writer® Exam.
- A Bachelor's Degree is strongly recommended.
- A strong command of written and verbal English is strongly recommended.
- A strong math aptitude (Algebra I) is recommended.
- A working knowledge of (APA Style) grammar, punctuation, and references are recommended.
- A working knowledge of Word, Excel, and Adobe Reader are recommended
Group Price: No group discount is available for the CGW Series.
Why should I select American Grant Writers to be my certification provider? click
To Purchase the CGW Series:
- There are 3 options to purchase the CGW Series:
After your Purchase:
- To purchase online at the regular or sale price by credit/debit card, click on "add to cart" on this page. In the "Ship To" section of the Order Form, please enter the student's name, mailing address, and e-mail. In the "Bill To" section of the Order Form, enter the information of the credit/debit card holder and the e-mail address where the order confirmation should be forwarded. If placing an order for more than 1 student, enter the additional student's names, mailing addresses, and e-mails in the "Remarks" section of the Order Form.
- If paying by personal check or business check, please mail the check and Registration Form to: AGWA, PO Box 3546, Winter Haven FL 33885. We encourage students to send the registration form to AGWA by fax or e-mail and let us know that the check will be sent by mail. Students will be registered as soon as payment is received.
- If your organization requires an Invoice from AGWA, then please e-mail your Purchase Order and Registration Form to CustomerService@AmericanGrantWriters.org. Students will be registered for the CGW Online Series upon receipt of the Purchase Order and Registration Form. AGWA does not prepare an invoice without a purchase order from your organization. Payment must be received prior to the student sitting for the CGW Exam.
- The first step is to update your e-mail account by adding AGWA's domain @AmericanGrantWriters.org to your Contact List, Safe List, and Allow List so that you will be able to receive correspondence in your Inbox. Be certain that the email address you provided in the "ship to" section of the order form has the capacity of accepting emails with 8mg attachments.
- On the next business day after receipt of your online order (or purchase order or check) the student will receive by e-mail:
3. If the student has not received both e-mails by the end of the business day after purchase, then please send an e-mail to AGWA and we will resend our e-mail correspondence.
Upgrade to a Business Membership
- A Welcome E-mail from AGWA Member Services with a Members Only Login password and a Confirmation for the CGW Review and Exam
- An e-mail from the Online Instructor with attachments: Section 1 Course Materials and Section 1 Assignments for the online course
The CGW Series includes a Individual Membership in the purchase. To upgrade to a Business Membership, just click on the "Marketplace" tab, and page down until you see "Upgrade Individual Membership to Business Membership" for $60.00 and click on "add to cart". The Business Membership has the added benefit of an annual subscription to GrantStation's research database.
Passing the Certified Grant Writer® Exam
A score of 80% is required to pass each section, except a score of 90% is required to pass the Professional Standards and Code of Ethics Section. Students receive his/her grades and Certified Grant Writer Credential by mail within four weeks after the exam. Purchase of the CGW Series entitles the student to sit for the Certified Grant Writer® Exam three times in an attempt to pass all 5 sections of the exam.
- The second sitting for students who failed one or more sections. To schedule the second sitting the member should send an e-mail to AGWA requesting a second sitting for a specific date/location. There is no sitting fee, however the student's membership must be active on the exam date. S/he needs to retest only in the sections that s/he did not receive a passing score during the first sitting. A private sitting for the CGW exam is not available. The second sitting must occur no more than 2 years after the first sitting. Registration closes 30 days prior to each exam date. Requests for specific disability accommodations must be provided to AGWA in writing at least 2 weeks prior.
- The third sitting is the final attempt to earn the Certified Grant Writer® credential. To sit for the CGW Exam a third time, the member should to send an email to AGWA requesting a specific date/location. The membership must be active at the time of the Exam. There is no sitting fee, however the membership must be active on the date of the exam. The third sitting must occur no more than 2 years after the second sitting. Registration closes 2 weels prior to each CGW Review Course date.
Rescheduling the CGW Review and Exam Date / Location
- A student is eligible to reschedule the date/location of the CGW Review and Exam a maximum of two times.
- To reschedule the CGW Review Course and Exam, please send written notice by e-mail at least 2 weeks prior to the date of the CGW Review Course. If written notice is received 2 weeks prior to the CGW Review Course date, then the rescheduling will be free. If written notice is received less than 2 weeks prior to the CGW Review Course date, then there will be a $195.00 rescheduling fee. The Rescheduling Fee may be purchased on the "Marketplace" page.
- If a student is a "No-Show" at the CGW Review Course and Exam, having provided no prior written cancellation/rescheduling notification to the association, and wants to reschedule to a future date/location, then there will be a $295.00 No Show Rescheduling Fee payable online on the Marketplace page.
Cancellation and Refund Policies
Prior to making your purchase we recommend you read our web pages: Refund and Rescheduling, Professional Standards and Ethics, and Debit/Credit Card Purchases.
Persons with Disabilities
Disabled persons may request accommodations. Requests should be in writing (mail or e-mail) and need to be received two weeks prior to the first day of a workshop or course.
If a prospective student, or current student, has questions on scheduling, technical support, coursework, or the exam please contact AGWA's Customer Service by phone or e-mail.
If your company is seeking training funds, you might want to contact the Workforce Development Board in your County. Some of the boards offer training funds to employers to reimburse up to 50% of training registration expense. Unfortunately, AGWA does not provide scholarships for the CGW Online Series.
Dates and Locations
Apr 19-20, 2018 in Baltimore, MD
Location: Holiday Inn Inner Harbor
- The last day to request Baltimore for the location to sit for the CGW Exam is Thursday 4/5/18. Students must have completed all of the PDPW online course assingment prior to this selection.
- Hotel Address: 301 W Lombard St, Baltimore MD 21201
- Hotel Phone: 410-685-3500 Front Desk
- Hotel rooms have been reserved for American Grant Writers' Association at the group rate of $119 plus taxes per night, single or double occupancy. This rate is also available 2 days prior, and 2 days after, if you want to extend your stay in Baltimore. This group rate is only available until 4/4/2018, as long as group space is still available. To make your hotel reservations, call the hotel at 410-685-3500 and ask for the American Grant Writers group rate, group code: AGW.
- If you check-out early, there will be an "early departure fee" of $75.00 per room.
- If you need to cancel your hotel reservations, please cancel 3 days prior, or there will be a one night's cancellation fee.
- Link to Hotel Reservations: https://www.ihg.com/redirect?path=hd&brandCode=6C&localeCode=en®ionCode=1&hotelCode=baldt&_PMID=99801505&GPC=AWA&viewfullsite=true
- If you are flying into the Baltimore Airport, transportation to the hotel is available outside of the baggage claim area by shared van ride, taxi, or limousine. Super Shuttle's shared van ride is about $27 per person each way.
- If you are driving to the hotel, self-parking is about $28.00 per vehicle per day with unlimited in and out privileges.
- There is Light Rail Service (Maryland Transit Administration MTA) from BWI Airport. The hotel is between the Pratt Street and University Center/Baltimore Street Stations.
June 21-22, 2018 in St Louis, MO
Location: Holiday Inn St. Louis Airport
- The last day for students to select St. Louis is Thursday 6/7/2018. The student must have completed all of the PDPW online assignments prior to making this selection.
- Hotel Address: 4505 Woodson Rd, St Louis MO 63134
- Phone: 314-427-4700
- Hotel rooms have been reserved for American Grant Writers' Association at the group rate of $109.00 + taxes per night. The group rate is only available until June 6, 2018, as long as space is available. To make your hotel reservations please call the hotel and ask for the American Grant Writers group rate or use the link.
- Reservations Link: https://www.holidayinn.com/redirect?path=hd&brandCode=HI&localeCode=en®ionCode=1&hotelCode=STLOP&_PMID=99801505&GPC=AGA&viewfullsite=true
- If you are flying into the St. Louis Airport, transportation to the hotel is available outside the baggage claim area by complimentary hotel shuttle.
- If you are driving to the hotel, parking is complimentary.
Aug 2-3, 2018 in Detroit, MI
Location: Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport Hotel
- Hotel Address: 8400 Merriman Rd, Romulus, MI 48174
- Hotel Phone: 734-729-8400
- A block of hotel rooms has been reserved for American Grant Writers at the group rate of $139.99 + taxes per night for single or double occupancy. To make your hotel reservations please call the hotel directly and ask for the American Grant Writers group rate or use this link: http://www.holdayinn.com/detroitairport , then enter the group code AGW.
- If you are flying to Detroit Metro Airport, then transportation to the hotel is provided by a complimentary hotel shuttle. The hotel shuttle may be boarded outside of the baggage claim area.
- If you are driving to the hotel parking is complimentary.
Oct 11-12, 2018 in Orlando, FL
Location: Avanti Palms Resort
- Hotel Address: 6515 International Drive, Orlando FL 32918
- Hotel Front Desk: 407-238-7700
- Hotel rooms have been reserved for American Grant Writers' Association at the group rate of $118 per night plus taxes in the Tower, or $108 per night plus taxes in the Garden Buildings. This rate includes the $9.00 resort fee. Make your reservations early as this group rate for hotel rooms is only available until Sep 12, 2018. To make your hotel reservations, call the hotel and ask for the American Grant Writers group rate or use this link: tba
- If you are flying into the Orlando Airport, you may purchase transportation by taxi or shared shuttle van outside of the baggage claim area.
- If you are driving to the hotel self-parking is complimentary.
Dates and Locations
Apr 19, 2018 CGW Review
Apr 20, 2018 CGW Exam
St. Louis, MO
Jun 21, 2018 CGW Review
June 22, 2018 CGW Exam
Detroit, MI (Romulus MI)
Aug 2, 2018 CGW Review
Aug 3, 2018 CGW Exam
Oct 11, 2018 CGW Review
Oct 12, 2018 CGW Exam
New Orleans, LA
for location details
or to purchase online
the CGW Series.
Certified Grant Writer® Candidates in Orlando, FL in Februrary 2015
Certified Grant Writer® Candidates in Las Vegas, NV in April 2015