The Certified Grant Writer® professional credential is the industry standard for grantseekers in government and philanthropy. The professional credential is valid for a period of 5 years and documents that the professional has demonstrated proficiency in grant researching, proposal writing, budgeting, and professional ethics.
The CGW Workshop Series includes the following components:
Grantseeker Basics Online Course (12 hour online course)
Program Development and Proposal Writing (4 day workshop)
Certified Grant Writer® Review Course (1 day workshop)
Certified Grant Writer® Examination (1 day exam)
Annual Individual Membership in American Grant Writers' Association
This series is appropriate for staff from nonprofit organizations, educational institutions, health organizations, government agencies, and native tribes seeking to write competitive grant applications and proposals for Foundation, Corporation, and Government Grants.
Grantseeker Basics Online Course
This online course is individual study and self-paced. Students are assigned an Online Instructor who will send course materials and assignments by e-mail. The course begins on the day of purchase and students have 90-days to complete the 3 assignments, although most students complete assignments in 12 hours. A 90-day extension is available for $100. The extension is available to purchase within one year from the date of purchase of the online course.
Students receive course materials and assignments one section at a time. Assignments must be completed in one section before proceeding to the next section. The course covers the following topics:
Section 1: Researching Grant Opportunities for Foundation, Corporate, and Government Grants
Section 2: Online Resources for Grantseekers
Section 3: Glossary for Grantseekers and Regulations for Federal Awards
For the online course, the student will need a computer (with any operating system) that has internet access. Software needed is MS Word, Excel, and Adobe Reader. Students will also need an e-mail address.
Program Development and Proposal Writing Workshop
The four day workshop is offered in several locations across the US each year; students will decide which location/date when making the purchase. Students receive course materials upon arrival at the workshop. This workshop is an intensive hands-on experience where each student develops a program using a logic model, practices pre-writing exercises, writes sections of a proposal, practices preparing budgets, and reviews peer's writing and budget exercises. The student learns the finer points of grant writing, enabling a proposal or application to be more competitive. The focus is on seeking program support, program development support, capital support, and general operating support. Research grants and construction grants are mentioned, but not discussed in detail. The course is taught from the employee's perspective who works for the grant applicant. The following topics are covered during the workshop:
Grantseeking and the Development Office
Nonprofit Organizations - Exempt Status and Charitable Status
Standards of Charitable Accountability
Program Development using a Logic Model
Understanding a Foundation's 990 PF
Evaluating Foundation RFPs and Government NOFAs
Researching statistics to document the Problem Statement
Writing goals and measurable objectives and outcomes
Planning program evaluations
Writing Letters of Inquiry, Proposals, and Applications for Foundation and Government Grants
Writing Government Grant Applications
Planning Nonprofit and Government Grant Budgets
Professional Standards and Ethics of American Grant Writers' Association
We recommend bringing to the workshop the following:
The workshop begins at 8:00 AM and concludes at 5:00 PM each day, with a one hour break for lunch on your own. Morning and afternoon breaks are provided. Dress is casual. Please do not bring an RFP, Notice, or Grant Applications Guidelines to work on during the workshop.
- a sweater or jacket because meeting rooms often feel chilly,
- a pillow for your chair,
- a laptop computer with a working USB port and Word software for the writing exercies (a printer will be provided in the meeting room),
- a handheld calculator and pencils with erasers for the budget exercises
- Please DO NOT bring an RFP, Notice, or Application Guidelines for a current Grant Opportunity with you to work on during the workshop
Certified Grant Writer® Review Course
This one-day workshop is on the 5th day. The review covers study tips as well as content for all 5 sections of the examination. Course materials are distributed in the meeting room on the afternoon prior to the course. The course begins at 8:30 AM and concludes at 5:30 PM with a one hour break for lunch on your own. Morning and afternoon breaks are provided. Students should bring a handheld calculator, pencils with erasers, and a sweater or jacket; laptop computers are not used during this course.
Certified Grant Writer® Exam
On the 6th day the Certified Grant Writer® Exam is administered in a group setting. The exam is administered in 3 sessions:
Session 1: Section 1) Program Development & Proposal Writing
Section 2) Researching Grant Opportunities
Section 3) Professional Standards and Code of Ethics
Session 2: Section 4) Preparing Budgets
Session 3: Section 5) Writing Samples
The exam is administered from 8:30 AM until 4:45 PM. Students should plan travel arrangements so that they are scheduled to depart the hotel no earlier than 4:45 PM. We recommend scheduling airline flights after 7:30 PM. Morning and afternoon beverages are provided. Dress is casual.
Students are required to provide the following for the CGW Exam:
- Laptop computer with a working USB port and Word software for the Writing Sample Section,
- Handheld calculator (with no text or formula capability) for the Budget Section,
- State Issued Photo ID (such as a driver's license) as proof of identify and minimum age
All of the course materials for the online course, 4-day workshop, and review course are provided. We recommend reading the following books prior to attending to enrich your learning experience:
- The writing reference is the APA Publication Manual of Style. Some writers prefer the Concise Rules of APA Style or the APA Style Workbook. All are available from American Psychological Association's online store www.apastyle.org.
- A Bachelor's Degree is strongly recommended, but not required.
- A strong math aptitude (Algebra I) is recommended to be successful.
- Knowledge of APA style prior to attending the Review Course is strongly recommended.
- The minimum age to sit for the CGW Exam is 21 years old by the date of the exam.
- Proof of identity and minimum age must be shown to the proctor prior to sitting for the exam.
- Only members of American Grant Writers' Association may sit for the Certified Grant Writer® exam.
Regular Price: $ 1,499.00 per person
For groups of 3 or more registering and paying together, there is a $100 per person discount. Please note that assignments at the workshop are individual assignments, and groups will not be able to work together on a group project in the meeting room.
- Current members may purchase this series at the Member Rate. To purchase, please login to Members Only using your Member Password. Then, page down and click on "Certified Grant Writer Series at Member Rates".
- To purchase online at the regular price by credit/debit card, click on "add to cart" on this page for the date/location of your choice. In the "Ship To" section of the Order Form please enter the student's name, mailing address and e-mail. In the "Bill To" section of the Order Form, enter the information of the credit/debit card holder and the e-mail address where the order confirmation should be forwarded. If making an online purchase for more than 1 student, please enter the additional names, mailing addresses, and e-mails in the "Remarks" section of the Order Form.
- If paying by personal check or business check, please mail the check and Registration Form to: AGWA, PO Box 8481, Seminole FL 33775. We encourage students to your registration form to AGWA by fax or e-mail and let us know that a check will arrive later by mail.
- If your organization requires an Invoice from AGWA, then please fax your Purchase Order and Registration Form to 727-596-5192 or e-mail it to CustomerService@AmericanGrantWriters.org. Students will be registered for the CGW Workshop Series upon receipt of the purchase order.
On the next business day after receipt of your online order, check, or purchase order AGWA will send each participant the CGW Series Confirmation by e-mail and the New Member Welcome E-mail with the Members Only Login password. Also, on the next business day after receipt of your order, the online instructor will send to each participant by e-mail the Section 1 Course Materials and Assignments for the "Grantseeker Basics" online course. If you have not received both of these e-mails with 2 business days after your purchase, please contact Customer Service.
Passing the Certified Grant Writer® Exam
A score of 80% is required to pass each section, except a score of 90% is required to pass the Professional Standards and Code of Ethics Section. Students receive their grades and Certified Grant Writer Credential by mail within four weeks after the exam.
The CGW Workshop Series entitles the student to sit for the Certified Grant Writer® Exam two times in an attempt to pass all 5 sections of the exam. For the second sitting, the student needs to only retest in the sections that did not receive a passing score during the first sitting. There is no additional fee to sit for the exam a second time, or to attend the CGW Review Course a second time. The second sitting may not be sucheduled until the CGW candidate has received the exam results from the first sitting. A private sitting is available for the second sitting for an additional $299 plus travel expenses of the proctor. The private sitting must be administered by American Grant Writers' Association and proctored by a person holding a valid Certified Grant Writer® credential.
To sit for the CGW Exam a third time, a student must wait a period of 12 months after the second testing and purchase the CGW Review and Exam for $499 as well be a member at the time of purchase and exam date.
As an IACET Approved Provider, AGWA offers CEUs. Students may earn 5.9 CEUs by completing all online assignments, attending the entire 4-day workshop and completing assignments, and attending the 1-day Review Course. The CEU certificate must be purchased before the first online assignment is turned into the instructor.
Rescheduling, Cancellation, Refunds
Prior to making your purchase we recommend you read our web pages "Refund and Rescheduling Policies", "Professional Ethics and Standards", and "Debit/Credit Card Purchases".
Persons with Disabilities
Disabled persons may request accommodations. Requests should be in writing (mail or e-mail) and need to be received two weeks prior to the first day of a workshop or course.
If a prospective student, or current student, has questions on scheduling, technical support, coursework, or the exam please contact AGWA's Customer Service by phone or e-mail.
If your company is seeking training funds, you might want to contact the Workforce Development Board in your County. Some of the boards offer training funds to employers to reimburse up to 50% of training registration expense. Unfortunately, AGWA does not provide scholarships for the CGW Workshop Series.
Grant Consulting Workshop Upgrade
When you register for the CGW Workshop Series you are entitled to purchase the Grant Consulting Workshop for just $49, a $249 value. The 2-hour workshop is held on Wednesday evening from 6-8 PM.
Dates and Locations
Registration for the CGW Workshop Series closes 2 weeks prior to the first day of the workshop.
Feb 22-27, 2016 at the Ramada Plaza I-Drive in Orlando, FL
(The last day to register will be Feb 8, 2016 if seats are still available. This workshop will probably sell out, so we recommend making your reservation as early as possible.)
- Address: 6500 International Drive, Orlando FL 32819
- Phone: 407-345-5340
- A block a rooms has been reserved for American Grant Writers' Association at the group rate of $89.00 plus tax per night for Sunday through Friday nights. Be sure to make your reservations early, as this rate is only available until Jan 22, 2016, as long as space is available. To make hotel reservations please call the hotel at 407-345-5340 and ask for Chris Olivero or e-mail him at email@example.com.
- If you are driving to the hotel, self-parking is complimentary.
- If you are flying into the Orlando Airport, transportation is available outside of the baggage claim area by taxi, limo, and shuttle.
Aug 8-13, 2016 in New Orleans, LA at the Bourbon Orleans Hotel in the French Quarter
(The last day to make reservations is July 25, 2016 if seats are still available)
- Hotel Address: 717 Orleans St, New Orleans, LA 70116
- Hotel Phone: 504-523-2222
- Hotel rooms have been reserved for American Grant Writers' Association at the group rate of $109 + per night for Sunday through Thursday nights, and $219 + taxes for Friday or Saturday nights. The group rate is only available until July 18, 2016, if group space is still available. To make your hotel reservations, call the hotel at 888-696-4806 and ask for the AGWA group rate.
- If you are flying into the New Orleans Airport, transportation is available by taxi, limo, or shared van. Board the transportation outside the baggage claim area.
- If you are driving to the hotel, there is a valet parking fee of about $39 per night. The hotel does not have self-parking.
May 16-21, 2016 in Chicago, IL at the Crowne Plaza Northbrooke
(The last day to register will be May 2, 2016 if seats are still available)
- Address: 2875 N Milwaukee Ave, Northbrook IL 60062
- Phone: 847-298-2525
- Hotel rooms have been reserved for American Grant Writers' Association at the group rate of $109 plus taxes per night for Sunday through Friday nights. Make your reservations early as this group rate is only available until April 24, 2016, or as long as space is available. To make your hotel reservations, call the hotel at 847-493-6929 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for the Group Code AGW.
- If you are flying into O'Hare Airport transportation is available outside the baggage claim area by taxi or shared van ride. Transfer from the Airport to the Hotel by 101 Express Limo Company is about $45 one-way from O'Hare Airport and about $65 one-way from Midway Airport by shared van ride. Please note that the hotel is closer to O'Hare Airport than Midway Airport.
- If you are driving to the hotel, parking is complimentary.
November 14-19, 2016 in Atlanta, GA at the Crowne Plaza Atlanta Airport.
(Registration will open in November 2015. Registration will be available until Oct 31, 2016, if seats are still available.)
- Address: 1325 Virginia Ave, Atlanta GA 30344
- Phone: 404-768-6660
- Hotel rooms have been reserved for American Grant Writers' Association at the group rate of $115 plus taxes per night. Make your reservations early as this group rate is only available until Oct 23, 2016, if group space is still available. To make your hotel reservations, call the hotel at 888-233-9527 and ask for the American Grant Writers group rate.
- If you are flying into Atlanta Airport transportation is available outside the baggage claim area by complimentary hotel shuttle.
- If you are driving to the hotel, self-parking is $8.00 per vehicle per day. Valet parking is $15.00 per vehicle per day.
Workshop, Review, and Exam
Dates and Locations
Feb 22-27, 2016
Ramada Plaza International Drive
May 16-21, 2016
Crowne Plaza Northbrooke
New Orleans, LA
Aug 8-13, 2016
Bourbon Orleans Hotel
Nov 11-19, 2016
Crowne Plaza Atlanta Airport
PAGE DOWN for details on each location
CGW Workshop Series in Orlando, FL on Feb 22-27, 2016
A CEU Certificate may be added to any online course, webinar, workshop, conference, or pre-conference registration. The purchase must be made prior to the beginning of the course, webinar, workshop, or conference.
Group Registration 3 or more
Group Rate applies when a group of 3 or more persons registers and pays together.
CGW Workshop Series for a Group of 3 or More
CGW Workshop Series in Chicago IL on May 16-21, 2016
CGW Candidates in Chicago, IL Summer 2014