Job posted Nov 15, 2013
The YMCA of Greater New York reaches half a million New Yorkers through programs that focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. We are seeking candidates for our newly created Grant Proposal Writer position. The Grant Proposal Writer is responsible for developing high-quality grant proposals for public / private funding sources and will be the lead writer for department materials, including Community Newsletters and overall support of the Y’s elected official engagement efforts. Additional responsibilities include assisting in the research for potential grant opportunities; gathering information from various departments and their program data bases for supporting the case for potential funding.
· Draft proposals and grant applications for submission to city, state and federal funding agencies.
· Research and share relevant demographic information, recent topic research and program models related to Y strategic priorities.
· Advise and support program staff in their data capturing and information management activity.
· Consult with the appropriate Program “experts” on Y program services, curriculum, working budgets and outcome goals as it relates with each grant opportunity.
· Coordinate with branches for writing branch specific portions of grant proposals
· Assist in the post grant “debrief” with funding agencies for feedback and scores on submitted proposals.
· Support the public policy, program staff and government operations staff in completing required program reports.
· Consult with the finance team to obtain information to create proposal budgets for inclusion in funding requests.
· Maintain grant tracker to ensure the timely submission of reports and complying with all deadlines.
· Support the development of accurate and appropriate information sharing mechanisms.
· Serve as the lead writer, as assigned, for positioning pieces related to the public sector.
· Meet regularly with the Fund Development team to ensure the efficient exchange of information regarding both public and private funding applications.
· Assist in evaluation of the grant funding and management process.
· Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Communications or related field.
· At least 5 years experience in public and private grant proposal and report writing.
· Ability to understand data and evaluation and translate into compelling case for support.
· Extensive computer skills, including proficiency with MS Office, searching on-line databases and the Internet.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the capacity to write in the “organization’s voice.”
· Ability to build and maintain professional, internal and external relationships.
· Strong organizational skills and attention to detail required.
The YMCA of Greater New York offers an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your resume, plus salary requirement with subject line “Grant Proposal Writer” to email@example.com or to:
YMCA of Greater New York
Attn.: Human Resources Department – 6th Floor
5 West 63rd Street
New York, NY 10023