The Certified Grant Writer® professional credential is the industry standard for grantseekers in government and philanthropy. The credential is valid for a period of 5 years and documents that the professional has demonstrated proficiency in grant researching, proposal writing, budgeting, and professional ethics.
The CGW Series Online includes the following components:
"Grantseeker Basics" Online Course (12 hour online course)
"Program Development and Proposal Writing" Online Course (40 hour online course)
Certified Grant Writer® Review Course (1 day in-person workshop in a group setting)
Certified Grant Writer® Examination (1 day in-person exam in a group setting)
Annual Individual Membership in American Grant Writers' Association
This series is appropriate for staff from nonprofit organizations, educational institutions, health organizations, government agencies, and native tribes seeking to write competitive grant applications and proposals for Foundation Grants, Corporate Grants, and Government Grants.
Grantseeker Basics Online Course
This online course is individual study and self-paced. Students are assigned an Online Instructor who will send course materials and assignments by e-mail. The course begins on the day of purchase and students have 90 days to complete assignments. Most students spend 12 hours to complete the 3 assignments. A 90-day extension is available for $100. An extension may be purchased up to one year after the original purchase of the online course. Students receive course materials and assignments one section at a time. Assignments must be completed in one section before proceeding to the next section. The course covers the following topics:
How to find Federal, State, Foundation, and Corporate grant opportunities and RFPs
Online Resources for Grantseekers
Glossary for Grantseekers and Regulations for Federal Awards
For the online course, the student will need a computer (with any operating system) that has internet access. Software needed is MS Word, Excel, and Adobe Reader. Students will also need an e-mail address.
Program Development and Proposal Writing Online Course
This intermediate level course teaches students the finer points of grant writing enabling proposals and applications to be more competitive. Students will develop a program, practice pre-writing exercises, write sections of a proposal and letter of inquiry, and prepare budgets for Foundation Grants and Non-Construction Grants. The emphasis is on program support, program development support and operating grants. Research grants and construction grants are mentioned, but not discussed in depth. The second online course is structured similarly to the first online course. The online instructor will remain the same. The second course cannot begin until the first course's assignments are complete. The course materials and assignments are sent to the student by e-mail from the instructor. Students have 90 days to complete the 5 assignments. Most students take 40 hours to complete the 5 assignments. A 90 day extension is available for $100. At the conclusion, students are asked to submit a Course Evaluation. The following topics are covered during this online course:
Grantseeking and the Development-Advancement Office
Nonprofit Organizations - Exempt Status and Charitable Status
Standards of Charitable Accountability
Program Development using a Logic Model
Understanding a Foundation's 990 PF
Evaluating Foundation RFPs and Government NOFAs
Researching statistics to document the Problem Statement
Writing goals, measurable objectives, and outcomes
Planning program evaluations
Writing Letters of Inquiry and Proposals for Foundation and Corporate Grants
Writing Government Grant Applications
Planning Nonprofit and Government Grant Budgets
Professional Standards and Ethics of American Grant Writers' Association
Students will need a computer with any operating system and the following software: Word, Excel, and Adobe Reader. Students also need an e-mail address and internet access.
Certified Grant Writer® Review Course
When a student registers for the series the date and location of the Review Course will be selected. The Review Course is only offered as a one-day in-person workshop. All sections of the "Program Development and Proposal Writing" online course should be completed prior to attending the Review Course. The review covers study tips as well as content for all 5 sections of the examination. Course materials are distributed in the meeting room on the afternoon prior to the course or on the morning of the review course. The course begins at 8:30 AM and concludes at 5:30 PM with a one hour break for lunch on your own. Morning and afternoon breaks are provided. Students should bring a handheld calculator, pencils with erasers, and a sweater or jacket; laptop computers are not needed during the review course. Note that this course is only available as a one-day in person workshop.
Certified Grant Writer® Exam
The Certified Grant Writer® Exam is administered in person in a group setting. The exam is NOT available online. The exam is administered in 3 sessions:
Session 1: Section 1) Program Development & Proposal Writing
Section 2) Researching Grant Opportunities
Section 3) Professional Standards and Code of Ethics
Session 2: Section 4) Preparing Budgets
Session 3: Section 5) Writing Samples
The exam is administered from 8:30 AM until 4:45 PM. Students should plan travel arrangements so that they are scheduled to depart the hotel no earlier than 4:45 PM. We recommend scheduling airline flights after 7:30 PM. Morning and afternoon beverages are provided. Dress is casual.
Students are required to provide the following for the CGW Exam:
- Laptop computer with a working USB port and Word software for the Writing Sample Section,
- Handheld calculator (with no text or formula capability) for the Budget Section,
- State Issued Photo ID (such as a driver's license) as proof of identify and minimum age.
All of the course materials for the online courses and review course are provided. We recommend reading the following book(s) prior to attending to enrich your learning experience:
- The writing reference is the APA Publication Manual of Style. Some writers prefer the booklet, Concise Rules of APA Style or the APA Style Workbook. All are available from American Psychological Association's online store www.apastyle.org.
- The minimum age to sit for the CGW Exam is 21 years old by the date of the exam.
- Proof of identity and minimum age must be shown to the proctor prior to sitting for the exam.
- Only members of American Grant Writers' Association may sit for the Certified Grant Writer® exam.
- A Bachelor's Degree is strongly recommended, but not required.
- A strong math aptitude (Algebra I) is recommended to be successful.
- Knowledge of APA prior to attending the Review Course is strongly recommended.
An annual individual membership is included with the purchase of this series. Current members receive one additional year added to his/her current membership.
Regular Price: $1,499.00 per person
- Member Rate offered at $ 949.00 per member through Nov 24th
Group Price: No group discount is available for the CGW Online Series.
- The Member Rate is restricted to current members of American Grant Writers' Association, Inc.
- The Member Rate is only available when purchasing online in the Members Only area of our Website.
- When paying by credit/debit card, you may purchase the CGW Online Series only by clicking on "add to cart". In the "Ship To" section of the Order Form, please enter the student's name, mailing address, and e-mail. In the "Bill To" section of the Order Form, enter the information of the credit/debit card holder and the e-mail address where the order confirmation should be forwarded. If placing an order for more than 1 student, enter the additional student's names, mailing addresses, and e-mails in the "Remarks" section of the Order Form.
- The Member Rate is not available when paying by check.
- Purchase Orders are not accepted at the Member Rate.
On the next business day after receipt of your online order, purchase order, or check the student will receive by e-mail:
If the student has not received both of these e-mails within 2 business days after purchase, then please contact Customer Service by phone or e-mail.
- A Confirmation for the CGW Review and Exam
- An e-mail from the Online Instructor with Section 1 Course Materials and Assignments for the "Grantseeker Basics" online course
Passing the Certified Grant Writer® Exam
A score of 80% is required to pass each section, except a score of 90% is required to pass the Professional Standards and Code of Ethics Section. Students receive his/her grades and Certified Grant Writer Credential by mail within four weeks after the exam. The CGW Online Series entitles the student to sit for the Certified Grant Writer® Exam two times in an attempt to pass all 5 sections of the exam. For the second sitting, the student needs to only retest in the sections that did not receive a passing score during the first sitting. There is no additional fee to sit for the exam a second time, or to attend the CGW Review Course a second time. The second sitting may not be schedule until the CGW candidate has received the exam results from the first sitting. A private sitting is available for the second sitting for an additional $299 plus travel expenses of the proctor. The private sitting must be administered by American Grant Writers' Association and proctored by a person holding a valid Certified Grant Writer® credential. To sit for the CGW Exam a third time, a student must wait a period of 12 months after the second testing and purchase the CGW Review and Exam for $499 as well be a member at the time of purchase and exam date.
As an IACET Approved Provider, AGWA offers CEUs. A student must purchase the CEU Certificate prior to turning in the first online assignment to the instructor. To earn
5.9 CEUs for the CGW Online Series, the student must complete all assignments and have full attendance at the Review Course.
Rescheduling, Cancellation, Refunds
Prior to making your purchase we recommend you read our web pages "Refund and Rescheduling Policies", "Professional Ethics and Standards", and "Debit/Credit Card Purchases".
Persons with Disabilities
Disabled persons may request accommodations. Requests should be in writing (mail or e-mail) and need to be received two weeks prior to the first day of a workshop or course.
If a prospective student, or current student, has questions on scheduling, technical support, coursework, or the exam please contact AGWA's Customer Service by phone or e-mail.
If your company is seeking training funds, you might want to contact the Workforce Development Board in your County. Some of the boards offer training funds to employers to reimburse up to 50% of training registration expense. Unfortunately, AGWA does not provide scholarships for the CGW Online Series.
Dates and Locations
Registration for the CGW Online Series closes 1 month prior to the Review Course.
Feb 26-27, 2016 in Orlando, FL at Ramada Plaza Resort I-Drive (Registration is available until Jan 26, 2016.)
- Hotel Address: 6500 International Dirve, Orlando, FL 32819
- Hotel Phone: 407-345-5340
- A block of rooms have been reserved for American Grant Writers Association at the group rate of $89.00 per night plus taxes. The group rate will only be available until Jan 22, 2016. To make your hotel reservations, please call the hotel at 407-345-5340 and ask for Chris Olivero or e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are flying into the Orlando Airport, transportation by taxi, shared van, or limi is available outside the baggage claim area.
- If you are driving to the hotel, self-parking is complimentary.
May 20-21, 2016 in Chicago, IL at the Crown Plaza Northbrook
(Registration for the CGW Online Series is available until April 20, 2016)
- Address: 2875 N Milwaukee Ave, Northbrook IL 60062
- Phone: 847-298-2525
- Hotel rooms have been reserved for American Grant Writers' Association at the group rate of $109 plus taxes per night. Make your reservations early as this group rate is only available until April 24, 2016, or as long as space is available. To make your hotel reservations, call the hotel at 847-493-6929 or e-mail at email@example.com and use Group Code AGW.
- If you are flying into O'Hare Airport transportation is available outside the baggage claim area by taxi, limo, and shuttle. Transfer from the Airport to the Hotel by 101 Express Limo Company by shared van is about $45 one-way from O'Hare Airport and about $65 one-way from Midway Airport. Note that the hotel is closer to O'Hare Airport than Midway Airport.
- If you are driving to the hotel, parking is complimentary.
Aug 12-13, 2016 at the Bourbon Orleans Hotel in the French Quarter
- The last day to register with AGWA for the workshop is July 25, 2016, if seats are still available
- Hotel Address: 717 Orleans Street, New Orleans, LA 70116
- Hotel Phone: 504-523-2222
- A block of rooms have been reserved for our group.
- The group rate for Sunday through Thursday night is $109 plus taxes per night
- The group rate for Friday or Saturday night is $219 plus taxes per night
- To make reservations at the hotel, please call 504-523-2222 and ask for the American Grant Writers Group Rate. The last day to make reservations at the group rate will be July 18, 2016, if space is still available.
- If you are flying into New Orleans Airport, transportation to the hotel is available for purchase by taxi, shared shuttle van, or limo outside of the baggage claim area
- If you are driving to the hotel valet parking is available for about $36 per night + tax for standard cars, or $39 + tax per night for SUVs.
Sep 8-9, 2016 at the Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia City Center
(The last day to register will be Aug 8, 2016, if seats are still available.)
- Hotel Address: 1100 Arch St, Philadelphia PA 19107
- Hotel Phone: 217-923-0100
- Hotel rooms have been reserved for American Grant Writers' Association at the group rate of $139 plus taxes per night. Make your reservations early as this group rate is only available until Aug 17, 2016, if group space is available. To make your hotel reservations, call the hotel and ask for the American Grant Writers group rate. Once you have checked in the hotel has a $75.00 early departure fee.
- If you are flying into the Philadelphia Airport, transportation to the hotel is available outside of the baggage claim area by taxi, shared shuttle van, or by rail (SEPTA- Airport Line Track 3 and 4. The nearest train station to the hotel is Jefferson Street Station which is just 1/2 block to the hotel.)
- If you are driving to the hotel, self-parking is about $36.00 overnight, or about $13 daily rate.
Nov 18-19, 2016 at the Crowne Plaza Atlanta Airport
(Registration will open December 2015. The last day to register will be Oct 18, 2016, if seats are still available.)
- Hotel Address: 1325 Virginia Ave, Atlanta GA
- Hotel Phone: 404-768-6660
- Hotel rooms have been reserved for American Grant Writers' Association at the group rate of $115 plus taxes per night. Make your reservations early as this group rate is only available until Oct 23, 2016, if group space is available. To make your hotel reservations, call the hotel at 888-233-9527 ans ask for the American Grant Writers group rate.
- If you are flying into the Atlanta Airport, transportation to the hotel is available outside of the baggage claim area by complimentary hotel shuttle.
- If you are driving to the hotel, self-parking is $8.00 per vehicle per day. Valet parking is $15.00 per vehicle per day.
CGW Review Course and Exam
Dates and Locations
Note that you will select your date and location when you register.
Feb 16-27, 2016
May 20-21, 2016
New Orleans, LA
August 12-13, 2016
Sep 8-9, 2016
Nov 16-17, 2016
PAGE DOWN for details about each location.
CGW Online Series in Orlando, FL on Feb 26-27, 2016
A CEU Certificate may be added to any online course, webinar, workshop, conference, or pre-conference registration. The purchase must be made prior to the beginning of the course, webinar, workshop, or conference.
CGW Online Series in Chicago, IL on May 20-21, 2016
New Orleans Registration
CGW Online Series in New Orleans, LA on Aug 12-13, 2016
CGW Online Series in Philadelphia, PA on Sep 8-9, 2016
CGW Online Series in Atlanta, GA on Nov 18-19, 2016
Certified Grant Writer® Candidates in Orlando, FL in Februrary 2015
Certified Grant Writer® Candidates in Las Vegas, NV in April 2015